If you’re an amateur athlete or enjoy time in the gym, physical activity is an integral part of your fitness. Not only do you spend time on strength training and cardio, but it’s common for the calendar to be filled with training sessions, games, or races.
These activities can help with physical fitness, but the motion can cause wear and tear on the body over time. Whether you have an old sports injury or pain from a recent game that won’t go away, sports medicine doctors have the treatments needed to speed up your recovery.
Sports Medicine Doctors in Denton
What are Sports Medicine Doctors?
Sports medicine doctors are specialists who focus on orthopedic conditions and musculoskeletal injuries. Often, they work with athletes or anyone involved in sports and fitness training.
If you are physically active in sports, then working with a sports medicine doctor instead of a general orthopedic surgeon might be the right choice. A sports medicine expert focuses on sports injuries and performance specifically, so they offer an extensive amount of experience.
These doctors have extra training to help patients who are active in physical exercises. Sports medicine doctors can work in orthopedic clinics, emergency rooms, and family practices. Both surgeons and non-surgeons can practice sports medicine.
When a sports-related injury occurs, your primary care doctor might refer you to talk to a specialist. You can also book an appointment with the sports medicine doctor directly if you know that the needed services are related to sports activities.
What Does a Sports Medicine Doctor Do?
Sports physicians are commonly known for the services provided to professional and amateur athletes. At the same time, they often work with people who participate in light sports hobbies, often referred to as “weekend warriors.”
Don’t assume that you can’t talk to sports medicine doctors if you aren’t a professional athlete! Musculoskeletal injuries often happen from hobby sports activities or exercise, and can affect both adults and children. Our team of sports medicine doctors in Denton can assist people of all ages with treatment and recovery.
Here are a few examples of when you might want to talk to a sports medicine doctor:
- You’ve been training for a half marathon after work and on the weekends
- An old injury from college is impacting your daily lifestyle
- Acute injury after a playoff game
- Retirees experiencing joint pain after their golf game
- High school athletes with chronic pain from sports injuries
Sports-related injuries are more common in adults when playing contact sports or not taking the time to warm up before the activities. Additionally, the risk of injury is higher if you don’t have a regular habit of physical activity, then suddenly start participating in a sports event.
One of the benefits of talking to a sports medicine doctor is that their specialty goes beyond injury treatment. These specialists are also experienced in preventing sports injuries, helping patients with proactive strategies to avoid common physical issues. They can also assist patients with diagnosing and treating illnesses that affect the joints, bones, and muscles.
A Sports Medicine Doctor Can Help with These Services
Any time you have an injury that affects your performance on the field, then a sports medicine doctor is a great resource. These specialists can help with a variety of conditions:
- Strains and sprains
- Bone fractures
- Joint injuries (shoulder, wrist, knee, ankle)
- Hand and feet injuries
- Repetitive motion injuries
- Eating disorders
Should you visit a sports medicine doctor? Here are five reasons why you might consider scheduling an appointment with one of our Denton specialists:
- Acute Sports Injury: You were participating in training or a sports game and an injury occurred suddenly. These injuries are often strains, sprains, broken bones, dislocated joints, or tendon injuries. Symptoms might include swelling, localized pain, muscle weakness, a bone that looks out of place, or inability to move that part of the body.
- Chronic Injuries: Sometimes, the pain and mobility issues develop over time. It’s common for these injuries to occur due to overtraining or spending too much time participating in these activities. For example, runners might have stress fractures in their legs, or tennis players can develop a rotator cuff injury in the shoulder. Talk to a sports medicine doctor if you notice that the pain increases when exercising, or if you experience swelling and pain after the activities are over.
- Sports Recovery: When an injury occurs, proper treatment and rehabilitation are key to help you get back in the game as soon as possible. Working with sports medicine doctors can reduce your healing time so that you can return to your normal activities. If you return to the training field too quickly, it could cause another injury – and your sports medicine doctor will help you avoid this situation.
- Injury Prevention: You don’t have to have a current injury to talk to a sports medicine doctor. Prevention is a great reason to meet with a specialist. Consider scheduling a consultation if you are starting a new exercise routine or sports activity. Your doctor will complete a physical exam to identify any potential areas of injury and also provide advice about training, equipment, conditioning, warm-ups, nutrition, and more.
- Orthopedic Surgery: Sports injuries can require surgery at times, such as a broken bone that needs to be stabilized or a dislocated joint. An orthopedic surgeon can assist with torn tendons and ligaments as well.
Treatments from a Sports Medicine Doctor
Once a diagnosis is defined, then your Denton sports medicine doctor can provide a personalized treatment plan to support your recovery. Ultimately, the goal is to identify the root cause of your injuries, helping to prevent recurrence in the future.
Sometimes, treatments include physical therapy and at-home exercises. You might receive a prescription for pain and symptom management. Other treatments can include injections, immobilizing the injury, or surgery if needed. Our team of sports medicine doctors in Denton works with a variety of other medical practitioners to offer full-service care for patients. For example, you might meet with a sports medicine doctor, as well as a physical therapist, dietician, or orthopedic surgeon, among others.
Sports Medicine Doctors at Orthopedic Associates
Our team of experienced doctors at Orthopedic Associates provides local sports medicine care in both Denton and Flower Mound. Doctors spend time in both clinics each week, giving your family access to a range of specialists and a team of medical providers.
If you live in or near Denton, you know that this area offers all the conveniences of living in a big city, with the benefit of maintaining a small-town atmosphere. You don’t have to travel to Dallas or Fort Worth when you need to talk to a specialist because we offer full-service solutions close to home.
When you visit our Denton office, you’ll see that we take the time to build personal relationships with our patients. Our team of sports medicine doctors in Denton is here to assist when you need medical support.
For more information about services and treatment, feel free to call us at Orthopedic Associates. You can book an appointment with a sports medicine doctor for sports injuries, chronic pain, and other conditions. Call today to schedule an exam with a specialist.