There is a very good chance that every man and woman at some point in their life will experience some form of foot pain. Some need to seek help from a professional Foot Specialist, others just try home remedies or tough out the pain. Yet one thing is for certain, our feet are constantly being taken for granted. The stress we put them through not only makes our days more uncomfortable but can affect our moods even well being. Seeing a Foot Doctor isn’t high on most people’s priority lists, often we blame the shoes we’re wearing, but there is a long list of foot conditions that could be causing you pain.
The following are 25 facts about foot pain that you probably did not know
- The average adult takes 4,000 to 6,000 steps a day.
- Heels that are 2½-inch or higher can increase the load on the forefoot by 75%
- Humans have nearly 8000 nerves in our feet.
- About 6% of US population has foot injuries, bunions, flat feet or fallen arches each year.
- Sixty million Americans or 25% of the U.S. population have flat feet.
- Feet are at their largest at the end of the day.
- 60 million Americans or 25% of the U.S. population have flat feet.
- There are 250,000 sweat glands in your feet combined
- Approximately 20% of the population in the US has high arches
- Sneakers were first made in America in 1916. They were originally called keds.
- The average person walks about 100,000 miles in a lifetime.
- The human foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles, and tendons.
- Plantar fasciitis affects about 10% of the US population.
- There are 52 bones in a pair of feet.
- 75% of Americans will experience foot problems at one time or another in their lives.
- The average woman walks 3 miles more per day than the average male.
- 9 out of 10 women wear shoes that are too small for their feet.
- During the first year of a child’s life, their feet grow rapidly, reaching almost half their adult size. By 12, a child’s foot is about 90% of its adult length.
- Walking is the best exercise for your feet. It contributes to your general health by improving circulation and weight control.
- It takes at least 5-6 months to grow an entirely new toenail.
- 25% of all the bones in the human body are down in your feet. When these bones are out of alignment, so is the rest of your body.
- In America, the average shoe size has gone up two sizes in just four decades.
- Over 2 million Americans seek treatment for plantar fasciitis (heel pain) each year.
- Women have about four times as many foot problems as men. High heels are partly to blame.
- Only a small percentage of the population is born with foot problems. It’s neglect and a lack of awareness of proper care – including ill-fitting shoes – that bring on problems.
Foot Specialist Near Me
The last foot fact in our list may be the most surprising. A lot of people assume they have some form of hereditary condition that is causing their foot pain. But the truth is, it’s what we put our feet through on a daily basis that causes discomfort. If you’ve been experiencing any irritation or soreness in your feet for an extended period of time, search for a “foot doctor near me” and seek out proper mental attention.